For many years I had wanted to buy a Norwegian costume (bunad) from the province (fylke) I came from. But the expense of it all prevented me from doing so, until one year when I was told that Viktor Borge was coming to Portland, OR and that those who had ethnic bunad would be hosting the event. While in Norway, on a visit, I bought what I needed to make my own from www.Husfliden.no and within one year my efforts paid off. I had, in the meantime, much help via the telephone with family experts in Norway, since making your own requires following the directions to a T.....
It was truly a labor of love and many sore fingers and worth every stitch. After I finished and several years later, I had but one wish; to bring it to Norway and wear it on the Norwegian Constitution day, May 17th. Which I did last year (2008) together with my sister and niece, all three in our own bunad. I was so proud!
The 17th of May is the grandest day Norway has to offer and the day is celebrated with much pomp and circumstance, showing the people's love for their country.
The following is an article from the Norwegian Government's official website, stating the facts of the implementation of their Constitution. (My translation)
From 1380 Norway was in union with Denmark, and in 1660 all power was given to the King and his new Constitution. Eventually the Danish King was drawn into the Napoleon war on the losing end and in January 1814 the Danish King was forced to secede Norway to Sweden as part of an agreement with the Kiel peace treaty. However, The Norwegian elite and the Danish Prince, Christian Frederik were not in agreement with the treaty and called a meeting of the "big men" on February 16. 1814 in Eidsvoll, Norway. It was there that Norway was declared an independent state, prince Christan Frederik was called to be the King of Norway and a new constitution was put in place to govern the new land.
3 comments:
I wish you would wear your new "dress" to church..sometime! It has to be a work of art!!
Hi Sunshine! There are never enough Pansies! I try to find the ones with the biggest faces! Thanks for your sweet comment about Simon!! Animals are so much apart of the Kingdom!!
Just loved this bunad post, Ragna...so glad your bunad dream came true--it is lovely! I have a bunad--from Gudbrandsdal, where my father-in-law is from, it's beautiful...I feel like a princess in it--LOL!--and very proud to wear it on 17th of May. :o)
Post a Comment