Oct 13, 2009

The Poet


I meet every other Tuesday with my knitter friends, a group that has been together for about 10 years, I joined 3 years ago.
I did not know any of them before, but we have a beautiful bonding and have grown to appreciate each others lives and talents.
Robyn joined us today and what a delightful presence she was. I knew (yet I didn't know) right off the bat that Robyn was into science, but never expressed my thought.

A lady, who I have seen before, was sitting across the room from us, and as she was getting ready to leave I asked if might ask her a question. Of course, she said. "Are you a writer or a food connoisseur?" I asked. She was startled and said: "I am a writer, and how did you know?" I told her I had a real sense from within, as I did when I first met Robyn, and from that point on we had the most delightful conversation. She is a university writing instructor and a poet and is two thirds finished with her book of poetry. I have never been fond of poetry as I find it difficult to express and sometimes understand, yet there is a moving in my spirit to indulge in the beauty of it...... I had so many questions of my new friend, the poet, and I got so many answers. What joy, what richness to start off my day!.

When I heard that Robyn is a nurse at Doernbecker children's hospital in Portland and that her master degree was in biology, I was not surprised since I already knew she was a woman of science!!

I love these kinds of interludes in my life, it is lovely, it is rich and it is so inspiring. The poet's name is Kathryn Conrad Dixon and you might, someday, be the owner of her poetic writings.. I know I will!

No comments: