Nov 10, 2010

My Wee Little Bear (click for info)

During our trip to England and Scotland in 2002, my one wish was to buy an authentic Teddy Bear...
All through England I looked and looked an not one cried out "Take me Home" until we came to the Old Town in Edinburgh.  There, in this historical, colorful and charming part of the city I saw IT;  a sign screamed at me "The Edinburgh Bear Co."
I jumped for JOY!! and with excitement in the air the doors opened, and there, right in front of me and all through this enchanting store, were the most magical Teddy Bear families I had ever seen.  Young and old, big and small, all made by loving hands, expensive yes, yet all waiting to be adopted into a most loving and caring family.  It didn't take me long to find "Old Timer", he screamed for JOY!!
"Mommy, you've come for ME?"
"Of course,I have, you silly little thing, you're mine forever!!
He was old and bruised all over his body, probably from the little girl in the poem that follows.
But that was the endearing part to me, 'cause he needed ME, and little did he know that I needed HIM.
He was not some know-it-all with a degree in Teddy Bear Authority, no he was like me; bruised and used, with character built upon his many scars.

The process of adopting him went smoothly, and like all adoptions, payment was required and this mom was only too happy to bring forth the English Pounds..  With both our passports in hand, the plane ride to the "New Land' went smoothly and I am happy to report that mother and Teddy Bear are doing just fine, thank you...
When I was just a wee little bear,
My owner dragged me everywhere,
Filled me up with cold mud pie,
Bit my nose and lost my tie,
Left me outside in the rain,
Spilled her juice and left this stain.
But I didn’t whine or scold,
Cuz she was only two years old!
And what’s a faithful bear to do
When his little girl is only two?
~ Author Unknown ~
Little/big ouches
The Store where "Old Timer" lived.
Are we ever too old for a Teddy Bear?
What is your Teddy Bear Story?

9 comments:

Jeanie said...

So sweet and I love the poem. My favorite bear is the one my son, now 40, carried everywhere with him when he was 2. The bear shows the wear and the love.

diane b said...

A fabulous post I'm a teddy bear addict too. I still have my grown up daughter's teddy bears and more. My favourite bear is Birthday Bear. He has an interesting life and his own blog with his own story but I must warn you "he" is sometimes a "she".
http://diane-birthdaybear.blogspot.com/

Tracy said...

Sooo, sooo sweet, Ragna! I love all his "sores"... he looks well loved from day one. :o) I wish I had a good teddy bear story... And most of all I wish I still had the snow-white teddy bear I had as a child. It had been kept in a loft-space and got terribly bad from damp so had to be gotten rid of a long time ago. Seeing your post made me think of my old bear, which I hadn't thought of in a while. :o) Happy Day, my friend ((HUGS))

Willow said...

How sweet! I don't have a teddy bear story, but my Eleanor Rabbit is my own creation and I dearly love her!

I sent you an email. I hope I had the correct address.

grammy said...

I think that is just so darling
that company really had a good idea
box to take it home in almost like build-a-beaI did have a beloved Teddy
It was so soft until it went in the bathtub with me
I was always afraid his feelings would be hurt when I played with my dolls (o:

Unknown said...

Nothing like a good ol' cuddly teddy and yours look good. Love the header and tks for popping over. Will link up so I can visit often. Happy week ahead..hugs/M

Anonymous said...

Ok Mom...time for a new post. I am anxious to see what new and interesting things you have to say!! Love you!

Pat said...

He looks as if he has had a lot of loving which no doubt you will continue.
I never had a teddy bear - just a moth-eaten greyish black dog called Mona.

Relyn Lawson said...

I wanted to stop by and answer your question about those pictures. Yes, Georgianna took most of them at Cannon Beach. Lucky you to have a place at Yachats.