Feb 11, 2011

My Beautiful White Orchid



Just as I wonder 
whether it's going to die, 
the orchid blossoms 

and I can't explain why it 
moves my heart, why such pleasure 

comes from one small bud 
on a long spindly stem, one 
white and beautiful flower 

opening at winter's edge 
tiny, perfect in its hour. 

Even to a white-
haired craggy poet, it's 
purely erotic, 

pistil and stamen, pollen, 
dew of the world, a spoonful 

of earth, and water. 
Erotic because there's death 
at the heart of birth, 

drama in those old sunrise 
prisms in wet cedar boughs, 

deepest mystery 
in washing evening dishes 
or teasing my wife, 

who grows, yes, more beautiful 
because one of us will die.
 by Sam Hamill
tweaked a little by me....

10 comments:

diane b said...

What a beautiful orchid and photos. The poem is endearing too.

Tracy said...

Oh, sooo lovely, Ragna... thank you for this extra look at your beautiful orchid and sharing this poem...thank you... :o) Happy Valentine's Day to you & your sweetie--enjoy your evening out. ((HUGS))

Peace Thyme said...

My, my, my. Miss Sunshine, you have really captured the essence of that flower....both in look and voice.

"Sunshine" said...

Wow, wonderful messages from all of you. Glad the post was a delight..Thanks..

grammy said...

love the pretty thing too
was that your man that wrote that or just a poem you found. Excuse me if it is a famous poet and I am clueless (o: any way...fun poem.

"Sunshine" said...

Grammy, I have no idea who this poet is, other than his name is Sam Hamill...Not my hubby...

Anne said...

Tusen takk for koselige ord hos meg Ragna!
Ble så glad for å høre fra deg igjen!
Jeg er stadig innom deg også.
Nydelige bilder av den vakre orkideen din,og fine ord.
I dag er det morsdag her,en fin dag sammen med sønn og familie.
Men det har vært fryktelig kaldt!! Så her skifter det fra dag til dag!
Ønsker deg en fin uke og gleder meg til ditt neste innlegg!

Unknown said...

It's beautiful, esp against the dark background. I love orchids and always have them at home..though still havent figured out how to induce them to flower the next round. Happy week ahead.

Laila said...

Orkideer er nydelige, og omtrent det eneste jeg får til her i huset, de står i nord og øst vinduet på kjøkkenet og blir skylt godt igjennom en gang i uken. Fire stykker blomstrer akkurat nå, og den ene er en helt ny type som jeg aldri har sett før, skal vise bilde av den snart.
Flott dikt også.
Klem Laila

"Sunshine" said...

Thank you for all the nice comments. I can see you all like orchids, and what is there not to like about this beautiful flower. Having traveled to Thailand a couple of times I have had the fortune of seeing them bloom in nature. A sight to see.